Many people still believe attending gym sessions is the only way to achieve their fitness goals. However, a new generation of fitness enthusiasts is achieving tremendous results on the streets. The question most people ask is the best option between street workout and gym. In this post, you will learn more about these workout methods and the benefits of each of them. In the end, you will have enough information to help you decide which of the two methods will most likely help you achieve your fitness goals.
What Is Street Workout ?
Just as the name sounds, it is a form of exercise performed outdoor. It may also be referred to as calisthenics workout. It involves physical training using one’s own weight and not exercise equipment or apparatus. In other words, you need your own body to perform the body weight exercises. Street workouts usually involve movements such as pull ups, push-ups, squats, sit-ups, lunges, muscle-ups, chin-ups, lunges as well as crunches among others.
Pros of Street Workout
- It is 100 percent free as you need no gym equipment and certainly no gym membership.
- You can enjoy 100 percent freedom to perform the workouts anywhere and everywhere.
- The workout allows you to employ your own creativity. You are not restricted to predetermined moves like you would be in the gym.
- Street workout is definitely safer because you do not need the sophisticated gym equipment and dangerous weights.
- Since it is performed outdoors, you do not have to worry about any limiting rules as you are your own master.
- There is no age limit as it can be performed by high school children as well as those advanced in age as long as they have the strength to perform the moves.
Cons of Street Workout
- Outdoor workout is usually not control and therefore it is impossible to set goals and measure your progress in real time.
- Certain outdoor exercises such as running may cause muscle damage especially if the ground where you run is uneven. Besides, the other exercises are not controlled.
What Is Gym Workout ?
I believe you know what gym workout means. It is the most common form of exercise where trainers have to attend gym sessions in order to work out. It involves both strength/resistance and endurance training and there are equipment and apparatus involved. Such equipment is usually very expensive and takes up a lot of space. Alternatively, gym membership is the only way out.
Pros of Gym Workout
- Gym training is better option especially in places with unfriendly outdoor weather or during very cold seasons.
- Because you are using a lot of many, gym membership can keep you motivated, and dedicated until you see desirable results.
- It’s the best option for beginners since they are provided with personal trainers who can create the workout regimen suitable for their fitness needs.
- Gyms usually have group classes which help individuals struggling with motivation, determination and dedication.
Cons of Gym Workout
- It is definitely costly as you will have to part with some good amount in gym membership.
- You are limited by the range of exercises you can do because of the set rules. It is also stuffy in the gym.
It is difficult to draw a line between these two types of workout because the results are almost the same if done correctly. The amount of time you will take to see results is comparable. Finally it boils down to your taste and preferences although some might argue street workout or calisthenics is better that gym workout. Personally I would vouch for street workout but if you have issues with motivation and dedication and you have the money then gym workout could be the best option for you.